BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 12, 2012

That Chicken Sandwich


Seriously, I really try to practice Separation of Politics and Blog - mainly because I am admittedly uneducated on such topics and prefer to make myself look good and intelligent here. But there has been SO much hype in the Christian community recently (all over Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc.) and I just can't keep quiet anymore!

As I write this, I'm thinking about a scene I was in earlier today. I am sitting alone (and I mean, literally, alone - as in no one else is in the vicinity) in the parking lot of a shopping center with a number of restaurants. I’m eating my sandwich from home and biding time until I have to be back at work. There is a perfectly delicious looking Chick-fil-a just across the parking lot.  I can't really explain it, but I just could not bring myself to eat there today.  Tomorrow for lunch, you better believe I might be the first in line, but not tonight.

Here's where I'm going with this...
1. I love Jesus.

2. I genuinely strive to love all people - even the ones that think or act differently than I do.

3. I love Chick-fil-a.

Those things are pretty much basic truths in my life; and, if you've been reading for any amount of time, I hope they have been evident. Yes, they are in a particular order; and yes, there are quite a few things that come between the second item and the third - just in case you were worried about my priorities and/or theology.

Anyway, until recently, I never questioned whether any of those things were mutually exclusive...

I like Chick-fil-a.  I think they have the best darn chicken in America.  I think they know how to treat moms and kids. I think their oreo milk shakes are pretty amazing.  I still plan to make it a regular part of my life, no doubt. BUT, I didn't want to eat there today, because I don't want to somehow be a part of this whole show.

My feelings for the chicken sandwich is NOT a statement about my feelings for people.

Jesus LOVED people.  Plain and simple: my Savior loved. No matter what. He was about everybody pulling up a chair and eating TOGETHER - the adulterous woman, the tax collector, and the Pharisee - the churchy person who thought they had the right to judge other people.

I've seen a lot of quotes about Jesus loving sinners; and I agree.  But, here's the thing... We are ALL sinners, every last one of us.

If you DID wait in line for your #1 today, that's ok.  If you never want to see another buttered bun with chicken and pickles again, that's ok too...  But, bottom line?  Jesus just LOVED.  He didn't support the groups that hated, but he didn't turn down an invitation to dine with them either.

That's it. 

That being said, long live Chick-fil-a and their delicious chicken sandwich.

0 comments: